Sunday, September 5, 2010

Quirino Grandstand Hostage Crisis

Last August 23, 2010, I had no class so I stayed the whole day in my dorm. Around 10:00 am, there was a news flash about a bus of foreign nationals from Hong Kong being hostage by dismissed Senior Inspector Rolando Mendoza. I just heard the news and I was aware but that was not a big deal to me because in my mind it will be settled right away and peacefully. And I was wrong. My day passed by while doing some school work and around 5:30pm my roommates and I watched a movie in our dorm and when the movie was over, I changed the channel to ABS-CBN and was so surprised on what is happening, that the hostage taking that I thought will be settled peacefully is now a news all over the world, as well as in Facebook and Twitter. It was really devastating and humiliating. As my roommates and I were watching, we were yelling in front of the television, instructing the SWAT team on what to do. Yes, I am not a professional but it really got into my nerves when they can’t capture the hostage taker knowing that they are about 20 in the troop and Mendoza was alone. While watching, thoughts are growing in my mind, like this would really strain our relationship with China, our tourism industry will suffer. I am really sorry to those who were killed, they have nothing to do with Mendoza’s case. Also, I was disappointed with our President because I’ve never heard something from him in the event of the crisis, I was expecting a lot from him since he is our country’s leader though I also pity him because he already have this kind of challenge to face knowing that he is in the office for just two months. To sum this up, Philippines is not the only country that has experienced hostage taking so I believe that our country is still safe and not to be black listed, and to ensure the safety of every people in the Philippines, Filipino or foreign nationals, the police must be well trained to protect and rescue them in times of crisis like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment